I really like maps, as I am a geographer, and with the help of my more artistic partner I make cool maps. My focus in work and education has been centred on urban problems particularly housing and transportation. I have built and am working on several agent-based housing models. I am also interested in developing innovative ways to combat urban congestion using buses and electric kick scooters. Also it has led me to more theoretical pursuits such as how we determine if a model or methodology is sound (epistemology). How individuals relate to their social and built environment and their resulting interactions (social theory). Cities and really all our institutions are made of people with all their issues, virtues, and dreams and cannot be discounted when examining policy or predicting behaviours.
Mulbrandon, Research, Design & Insights, LLC is a consulting company founded in 2009 by Matthew Mulbrandon and Catherine Mulbrandon.
M.S. Civil Engineering, Transportation Concentration, University of Maryland, 2006
M.A. Geography, UCLA, 1998
B.A. Geography, University of Chicago, 1996
- Teaching assistant for three semesters.
- Lecturer: Introduction to Urban Geography and Introduction to Human Geography. Designed and ran labs using GIS software ArcGIS and Geoda in order to teach upperclassmen spatial methods.
- Co-founder – Mulbrandon Research, Design, and Insight (MRDI), 2009-Present, Python programming, support for usability, consulting.
- Researcher, Center for Smart Growth (University of Maryland), Summer 2003. Researched land use regulations to examine how much land to set aside for housing.
- Junior Analyst, Westat, 1999-2002. SAS programming, data cleaning interview training, and questionnaire coding.
For more information contact: Matthew Mulbrandon at matthew[at]mrdiconsulting.com